Michael L. Pitt
Royal Oak, Michigan
Michael Pitt is a founding member of Pitt McGehee Palmer & Rivers, P.C. He has handled complex employment litigation including nationwide class actions, group actions and multiple party cases on behalf of employees from the lowest to highest levels of many of the largest companies in the United States. Michael received his bachelors from Michigan State University in 1971 and his juris doctor from Wayne State Law School in 1974. Since 1980, he has specialized in employment law and civil rights litigation on behalf of employees. He also serves as a court appointed mediator of employment disputes and has been frequently selected as an arbitrator.
Michael’s recent work on the Neal Case as part of a team of civil rights lawyers has garnered him wide acclaim and recognition. In this case eighteen women prisoners were raped and sexually assaulted by prison guards in Michigan’s prisons, and through Michael’s hard work, a damage verdict was won in favor of the women prisoners. As a result of this case, Michael and the team received recognition from the Trial Lawyers for the Public as the 2008 Trial Lawyer of the Year, recognition from the National Lawyers Guild as the 2008 People’s Lawyer of the Year, and in February 2009, the team also received the Wade McCree Award from the Federal Bar Association for the Eastern District of Michigan.
The Department of Corrections settled the matter after two jury trials generated more than $30 million in damages for 18 women. The Department agreed in July 2009 to pay more than 400 women $100 million in resolution of all claims of rape and sexual assault.
In 2004 and 2005, Michael was elected President of the Michigan Trial Lawyers Association. In 2003, he was inducted as a Fellow into the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers. He has presented more than 80 papers at seminars across the country sponsored by ATLA, NELA, MTLA, ICLE of Michigan and other organizations.
Most recently, Michigan Supreme Court Justice Marilyn Kelly appointed Michael to a judicial task force re: electing Michigan Supreme Court Justices, report published March 2012.
- In March 2009, Michael spoke at the NELA Seminar in Denver, Colorado on the use of depositions in employment, and in April 2009, he spoke at the ICLE Annual Labor and Employment Law Seminar on selecting retaliation cases. Since 1989, Michael has been listed as one of the Best Lawyers in America.
- In December 2010, Michael was keynote speaker for the State Bar of Michigan Workers’ Compensation Section on the topic of FMLA and ADA litigation.
- In April 2011, Michael was a participant in a mock trial presentation on behalf of the State Bar of Michigan and ICLE’s Annual Labor & Employment Seminar attracting more than 200 attorneys.
- In June 2012, Michael is scheduled to speak at NELA’s Annual Conference in San Diego, California on the topic of “Retaliation in the Post-Employment Context.”
- Michael is also a board member of Public Justice, America’s public interest law firm.
Michael and his wife, Peggy Goldberg Pitt, are avid bicycle riders and travelers. They are most proud of their son Jared, a California attorney, and their daughter Meagan, who is an attorney in Colorado and the mother of two beautiful daughters.